Climate, Marine Heatwaves, and Temperature
Thursday, 25 November 2021
Zoom and Slido links will be emailed to registrants a business day prior to the event.
Last-minute registrants will receive a link two hours prior to the event.
Introduction to FOO (5 mins)
Short Talks from Panel
Marine environments in transition: Planning and responding to changes across daily to seasonal and decadal time scales
Chair: Dr Jessica Benthuysen (Australian Institute of Marine Science)
- Dr Alistair Hobday (CSIRO) – perspectives on working with marine industries on climate extremes and adaptation, and ocean data and modelling needs across time scales
- Dr Claire Spillman (Bureau of Meteorology) – application of operational products for fisheries and aquaculture
- Dr Arani Chandrapavan (WA Fisheries and Marine Research Laboratories, Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development) – using environmental data to inform stock assessment and fisheries management
- Mr Martin Exel (Austral Fisheries) – perspectives on ocean data and modelling needs for fishing operations
Q&A and Panel Discussion
- Clarifying priorities and needs for marine industry and marine managers in decision making on how climate, marine heatwaves, temperature affect their operations on a range of time scales;
- Identifying what operational oceanography components (e.g. observations and models) are required so marine industries and managing agencies have the decision-making tools to improve financial, social, and environmental outcomes;
- Advancing operational oceanography to close the gap between ocean data and modelling through the delivery of products to suit end-user needs.