The Australian Forum for Operational Oceanography (FOO)
The FOO is meant to be a forum for:
- discussions relating to operational oceanography, including requirements of stakeholders, industry and interested parties;
- for scientific and technical discussions of common interest to practitioners working in relevant areas or drawing on products from operational oceanography service providers.
The ultimate goal of FOO is to improve the safety and efficiency of marine industries through better decision-making via operational oceanography. This requires better industry processes and trained staff. It requires better operational oceanographic services from government, and industry. It requires a solid foundation of world class research and development.
This is the value chain for operational oceanography in Australia.
Three working groups have been established by the Forum, in order to conduct intersessional discussions and drive innovation and collaboration in these priority areas.
Visit the following Working Group pages for more information.
FOO Steering Committee
Jan Flynn, Woodside Energy Ltd (Co-Chair) (outgoing)
Martin Exel, Austral Fisheries (outgoing)
Research & Development
Tim Moltmann, Integrated Marine Observing System (Co-Chair) (outgoing)
Andreas Schiller, CSIRO
Chloe Bibari, Integrated Marine Observing System
Indi Hodgson-Johnston, Integrated Marine Observing System
Richard Brinkman, Australian Institute of Marine Science
Steve Buchan, RPS MetOcean Pty Ltd
Simon Foster, Fugro Survey Pty Ltd
Craig Longmuir, Australian Maritime Safety Authority (outgoing)
Barbra Parker, Royal Australian Navy
Peter May, Bureau of Meteorology (also R&D) (outgoing)
- The Terms of Reference for the Steering Committee can be found here.
- The Committee’s major item of business will be to facilitate the formation of a working group or groups to progress the priority areas discussed at the Forum.
- Other items of business will include communication, membership, resourcing, and future events.